Sunday, October 3, 2010

Asthma Stinks!


We had a pretty low key weekend....we had a girl that needed some extra attention!! I love fall time and have been so ready for it to be here. I forgot how hard it was on my kids when the seasons change. Maddie woke up Thursday morning coughing a little bit. It was month end so I had to work late that night and Kevin had a game. Nonna came into town to keep the kids while we were gone. When I got home that night Maddie was in bed with Kevin wide awake-it was 10:30!! She woke us up at 4:30 coughing a ton and sounding like she couldn't get a good breath. Nonna was here so both Kevin and I went on to work. I called a few times to check on her debating whether to take her to the doctor. Nonna called me at 10 saying she was coughing a lot and running a fever of 100.3. I made the appointment and left work shortly after to go get her and take her on in. I am so glad that I did!!!

Maddie hates going to the doctor....HATES it. She is so afraid every time we go that she is going to get a shot. I think she was having anxiety about it and when we got back to the exam room I almost started panicking. She was very short of breath and I could feel her heart racing. I slipped out of the room and the asked the nurse if she could listen to her because I was nervous. The nurse said that she was struggling but her oxygen levels were still ok. I ended up asking Mimi and Megs to join me since they were in the area. The doctor came in and was great!! He was making Maddie laugh and made me feel much better about the situation. For three days we have been giving her a breathing treatment every 3 hours, even throughout the night. She is on a steroid twice a day that I am going to cut back on tomorrow. She is much better, but we are going to continue with the breathing treatments for a few more days. The doctor said that if she got any worse, we were to take her to the ER-that is SCARY!!!

I am not very familiar with Asthma and am often playing a guessing game on whether or not she is wheezing, is she having a difficult time breathing, etc. etc. I did go out a buy an oximeter, which will tell us her oxygen rate and has made me much calmer. A few times it did get in the 70's but went back up rather quickly. I think that will be a good tool on judging how serious it is. I sure have put it in my purse and check her fifty times a day:) We are going to try and send her to school tomorrow. As long as she doesn't back track, I think we will be ok. I took a picture of her during one of her many treatments-she is a mess!!
We have a busy week ahead of us-the nanny is getting married and we need everyone to be well!!! I am sure that I will have tons to post on next weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment