Saturday, October 31, 2015

Cancer Update

The past two weeks have been filled with lots of doctor appointments....surgeon twice, plastic surgeon, radiologist, and the regular Monday chemo.  Harper told me the other day that I have to go to the doctor every day.  It feels like it.  But we have a plan!!  And I can see an end in sight!  And the chemo worked!  So we are going to do everything that we can to keep this from coming back.
  Which means on December 11th I will be having a bilateral mastectomy with expanders put in.  They will do a sentinel node biopsy which will determine how many lymph nodes have to be removed.  I am praying not meaning.  I will spend that next month recovering and going in to have the expanders filled.  Then I will have 30 rounds of radiation to my chest, underarm, and neck.  I will go everyday Mon-Fri for 6 weeks.  Then, hopefully there will be no complications and a final reconstruction surgery will be about 6 months after that.
  So we are looking at a year....a year that cancer has disrupted our life, but definitely not controlled or claimed it.  I am tired, ready to have my hair back, ready to move on to the next chapter.  But one thing this has taught me is to take and be thankful for one day at a time.  We aren't guaranteed tomorrow so I am not going to wish the next 7 months away.  There is no telling what they have in store.  God has met all of our needs and more.  He has given us the most incredible support system and he has allowed me to get through chemo a lot easier than it could have been.  I hate this, but am thankful for a lot that has come from it.
  Cancer changes you.  The small stuff is no longer worth sweating.  This has strengthened my relationship with God, my famiy, my friends.  It has taught me to be brave, to not be fearful.....to cling to bible verses such as Joshua 1:9.  I pray that once this is over that it never comes back.  I don't want to go through this again, buy I also don't want to forget what I have learned.
  Last Monday Nonna came and sat with me through chemo.  I loved having her there, but I did manage sleep through some of it.  My parents stopped by to say hi and we all enjoyed Cheesecake Factory once I was done.  I have enjoyed some yummy lunches after chemo:)
  The ballgame that Friday recognized breast cancer survivors before the game and Kev was able to walk me out.  The Pink Heals truck was there and I was able to sign it along with my mom.  It was a nice thing for Arlington to do for Breast Cancer Awareness month.  October is coming to a close, but I hope everyone remains aware.  It is so important to go to your yearly exams and check yourself regularly.  Mine was hard to detect, but very big.  If it hadn't been in my lymph nodes I think my story would be a lot different.  Another example of God taking care of me.  You don't want it to spread, but by doing so we were able to find it.  God is good:)
  I have so much else to post, will get to it soon:)

1 comment: