Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Whoa, Chemo #1 Done!

I did a huge post on our vacation and it is still publishing a week later:(  Probably because I tried posting 50 pictures from our trip.  I will do another Vacay post next but wanted to get this one out of the way first.
  Sunday, I received the sweetest surprise from my friends.  Tina and I teach Sunday school and Kev normally brings us breakfast towards the end.  He brought our whole class with him to give me a "chemo bag" to start treatment.  Overwhelmed to say the least.  My sweet friends gave me a blanket, book, gift cards galore, candy, gum ,thank you cards, pens, water bottle, and lots more.  I am so thankful for them and they really helped gear up for Monday.  I also found another sweet gift basket on our porch that afternoon.  One thing about cancer.....as terrible as it is, people really do go out of their way to show their love and support.  Another friend started a meal site for us, and I can't explain how much that is going to help and means to us.  I am not one to ask for help, but am quickly realizing how difficult/impossible this would be to do on my own.
  So then comes Monday and I went in for my first treatment.  I wasn't really nervous and was ready to go.  It was an all day event.  They check your blood, you meet with the doctor, and then there was lots of prepping since it was my first time.  We have been praying for 2 years for a friend that I grew up with that has cancer.  I haven't seen her since my wedding.  Can you believe I sat right next to her while I received chemo?  She normally has chemo on the 2nd floor, but there just happened to be a fire in the elevator that morning and she was moved downstairs....I am sure God had nothing to do with orchestrating that, right?  She gave us so much helpful information and even has let me borrow her real hair wig for when my hair comes out.  I hate the circumstances we met up, but am so thankful we did.  So, while you are praying for me, you can lift up Lori as well!  She has a sweet husband and twin boys and has been on quite a journey.
  The actual chemo only lasted about 45 minutes, but they gave me a bag of nausea meds first and maybe something else, I don't remember.  Chick Fil A was there so Kev got us some lunch while we were hanging out.  We left with two nausea meds and I had to go back the next day for a shot to boost my blood counts. 
  So.....about an hour after we got home I felt horrible.  No energy, horrible headache, and some serious nausea.  I was in bed by 4 and stayed there till the next morning.  It was pretty rough till Wednesday.  My parents took me Tuesday to get the shot and I was scared to death.  I had heard from several that you would feel achy and that it was worse than the chemo.  I wasn't sure I could take much more.  The shot did NOT affect me at all!!!  Praise the Lord!  So, Thursday I went to work like normal and we headed to Savannah, which is where we are now.
  I stay pretty tired, but haven't felt any nausea in a few days.  Chemo is definitely nothing I could prepare for or wish on my worst enemy....but we are making it through one day at a time.  Kev is being a rock star dad, my parents are willing to do anything and have been a huge help, our whole family and friends are just a great support system, and the Lord is meeting our every need.  The kids are doing well and I just know we are going to be just fine!

2 comments:

  1. hey Missy, I'm so glad you posted this bc I've been checking your blog everyday to see how you're doing. Glad the first treatment went well. We are continuing to pray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also happy to hear from you... I've been keeping an eye on your blog, as well. ;) And more importantly, praying for you. So thankful you're seeing God in each day. Keep on keepin' on... He's holding your hand, moment by moment. xx

    ReplyDelete