Friday, June 19, 2015

Camp, Cat Scan, Ports, and Wow, God is Good!

This week has been a full one!!  The kids were able to attend sports camps through the high school.  Maddie went to basketball and Turner did soccer camp.  They were from 9-12 and the kids enjoyed them.  They came home tired!  It was a hot week and Turner doesn't always love that - but he sure did love his ice cream sandwich yesterday;)
  I met the Oncologist on Wednesday and it was a long afternoon.  We learned a lot of info about my cancer and treatment plan.  Looks like I will do one kind for 2 months first.  I will go once every two weeks for 2 months.  The following day I will go in to get a shot that will help my blood counts recover quicker.  He said this one might cause me to feel bad for 2-5 days afterwards.
  After that I will do another one every week for 12 weeks and the side effects of that one aren't as bad.  He said your hair normally falls out before you start the 2nd treatment.  I am hoping to start a week from Monday.  So the countdown is on...
  Dr. Tauer wanted to do a cat scan just to see if cancer showed up anywhere else.  I am glad we did, but was so anxious.  He came back in and told me there were some spots on my liver.  Say what????  He did NOT think they were cancer, but the radiologist couldn't confirm it.  It was kind of late, so he told me they would do an ultrasound the next day before I got my port.
  At this point, I am asking if anyone ever takes anxiety medicine while going through this.  I was easily given a prescription for Adivan.  Wednesday night was a long one.  The thought of cancer being somewhere else as well was almost more than I could handle.  But with lots of prayer and a little Adivan, I slept.
  Yesterday Nonna came to hang out with the kids and my parents joined Kev and I at the doctor.  They kept some seats in the waiting room warm for a few hours;)  The ultrasound was first and after what seemed like forever....I was told the spots were benign!!!  Talk about crying tears of joy... I walked out to tell my parents and scared them to death.  I have never felt such relief.  It was great news.  The man that did the ultrasound goes to Bartlett Baptist and was so kind.  Nice to have fellow Jesus lovers working on you!
  After that, the port was put in.  Not a huge deal, but I am so sore.  I won't be able to swim on vacation and will have to be really careful about sand not getting anywhere near it, but we are ready to go.  The doctor told us over and over that waiting 1 week to start treatment wasn't going to make a difference.  I want my kids to have/enjoy this vacation before I might not feel well all the time.
  A funny off topic Harper story- she and I were in Old Navy while the kids were at camp.  I turned around and couldn't find her.  I felt complete panic and was running everywhere screaming her name.  I had half the store looking for her.  After the longest 5 minutes of my life, a manager saw her feet sticking out of a display!!  She was playing Hide and Seek with me and came out with the hugest grin on her face!  She loves that game and will not give herself away!!  Next time she is going in a cart, even if she screams the whole time;)
  A few verses that have been helping me through these days:
"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones" Proverbs 17:22

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds" James 1:2

A new friend, that is a cancer survivor herself, sent me Mark 10:27 along with "Praying Through Cancer", which is a 90 day deviotional.  So thankful for the people God is putting in my path and using to minister to me.  I pray that I can do the same while going through this and once I get to the other side.

Jesus said, "with men it is impossible, but not with God, because all things are possible with God."

1 comment:

  1. Praising Him, along with you, for a benign ultrasound scan. Your scriptures are also great reminders for me. I am happy to pray for you. We live in Lakeland, on 70, across from Lakeland City Hall... And both my husband and I graduated from UTM, in 2002 & 2003. You look very familiar to me. I shared this info with you a few weeks ago, including my phone number, but began receiving random text messages, so I deleted my comment. My husband, Russ, had the same thing happen when he left his number on a similar site, & I'm guessing that's what happened, so I deleted it. But my/our offer still stands. If I can help you, I'd love to. Dinner, grocery run, help with kids, whatever. All of that aside, I will pray for you. Hang in there... I hope you will enjoy your vacation, & the beauty of the joy in your sweet children. Sending hugs & prayers your way!! Selena Bragg

    My email is: selenabragg@gmail if you need my number, please email me.

    ReplyDelete