Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Bittersweet Endings

Today we had the funeral for my 93 year old grandmother in Clarksdale, MS. She died Monday morning in the hospital after suffering a heart attack sometime last week. She had suffered from Alztheimer's for several years and had spent the last two not talking, having a caretaker with her at all times. I have so many memories of my funny little grandma, and know that she would not have wanted to go on the way that she was. She did such a good job raising my mother and her brothers and sisters. She left behind an incredible amount of memories and I laugh almost every time I hear a story about her-the things that came out of her mouth:) I hate that my children weren't able to know her, but am hoping that in their later years, their Mimi can keep them entertained like Grandma did us. But not at the expense of my mother's mind. It was so sad watching Grandma begin to forget things and become confused. Alztheimer's is a terrible disease and I know especially hard for my mom and aunt's and uncle's to watch slowly take Grandma away. I pray that she had given her life to Christ and is in Heaven, so that one day I will see her again.

1 comment:

  1. We are so sorry to hear about your grandma. My grandma suffered from alzheimers too and it is heart breaking to see them like that.
    We are thinking of you and your family and if there is anything we can do please let us know!

    ReplyDelete