Thursday, January 14, 2016

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016!

There is so much I wanted to post about and haven't gotten to yet. I usually do an end of the year wrap up and we are halfway through January.  Time flies...whether you are having fun or not! 
  Last year was a doozie.  There were days I literally couldn't put one foot in front of another because I didn't have the energy.  There were nights I didn't sleep a single wink because I worried about my future and was afraid I wouldn't live to watch my kids grow up.  I would watch Kev be super dad and husband and feel bad that I wasn't helping him....but literally couldnt.  There were lots of pokes and sticks, time spent in waiting rooms, time spent feeling super sorry for myself, and time spent on the couch or in bed sleeping more than I thought I could.  I didn't use a razor for about 6 months because I had no hair.  I threw about 20 bras in the garbage because I knew I would have no more use for them. (At least those particular ones)  My kids really struggled with my hair loss and were embarrassed if I didn't wear a hat. I have hot flashes with the best of them and am going through menopause a decade or two early.  I am a mess.
  Last year was a blessing!  I was able to see Jesus in my friends and family as they rallied around us and took care of my family.  My family was fed for 3 months through the take a meal site.  I had many friends take me to chemo, some of them more than once.  They gave up their day for me!!  I spent sweet time with my parents at chemo, especially my daddy!!  My parents set aside their life for the past 8 months and have been available to do whatever we needed.  They have had the kids more times than I can count, and are just so willing.  My sister and my in laws have been the same way.  Thankful, humbled, grateful.....the list just goes on and on.
  Our church family has prayed for and with us.  I was given the opportunity to share my testimony at church, which a year ago would have scared me to death.  (I was actually still scared:)  We have been given so many gift cards that got us through on the nights I couldn't or didn't want to cook.  We have been well loved.
  I have known all along that Kev was a gem.  He loves Jesus and he loves his family.  He is the best, most hands on daddy, and loves our kids so much.  He has done nothing but show his love to me this past year.  He has taken care of me and the kids, plus now a dog, and never complained.  I don't know how we would have gotten through without him.  He is our rock!
  I have learned so much about myself, God's grace, and what it really means to give to others.  Because so many people have done that for us.  I just can't express how much it means. 
  So, we have said goodbye to 2015...and hopefully cancer....forever!!  I am going to rock out 30 rounds of radiation and 1 more surgery in 2016.  We are going to be intentional in our giving this year.  We are going to make an extra effort to be there when our friends and family go through a hard time.  We are going to be present, diligent in our time spent with God, and not take a single day for granted!!  I am not going to look forward to the future, but instead be thankful for today.  Because today is good enough, and we are never promised tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment