Sunday, December 27, 2015

Meet Rowdy!

  My birthday was the 23rd.  We had 2 kiddos that were still sick, and I still had 2 drain tubes and wasn't feeling great.  Harper had pink eye and was on an antibiotic and Dr. Scott put Maddie on one as well.  She just was keeping a fever and didn't feel good.  So we spent my birthday at home...except Kev and I ran one little errand.  We met a lady at Cracker Barrel to pick up our new furry friend....Rowdy!
  The kids have wanted a dog for years.  We had to find Karsey a new home when Maddie was 2 because she was allergic.  As she has gotten older, we think she has outgrown some of it, and we began looking at hypoallergenic dogs.  Since the last 6 months has been spent dealing with cancer, we thought a puppy would make a great Christmas gift.  I spent months researching and trying to find the perfect dog for our family.  Pure bred dogs are very expensive, and we did not want to spend the money unless we felt confident it would work out.
  We found a sweet Christian lady that lives in Jackson and breeds Cairn Terriers.  I grew up with one and my mom has a dog allergy as well.  Molly never bothered her and was a great, healthy dog.  Mrs. Cathy had puppies and there was a male one that she would let go at 9 weeks...which just happened to be on my birthday!  She also just happened to have a brunch in Memphis in that morning, so she brought him to us!  It couldn't have worked out better.  Mrs. Cathy has been so great at answering my many questions and I am so glad I found her. 
  I fell in love with the puppy as soon as I saw him.  I think Kev did too.  The kids were at the house with my parents and had no idea we were bringing him home.  We walked in the house and told them Merry Christmas.  I will never forget their reactions.  They were stunned, thrilled, stunned, and couldn't believe their eyes.  We were worried about Harper's reaction, because she is scared of dogs.  We hoped this would end her fear of them, but knew it would take some time.  She was so excited and came right up to him to pet him.  We spent the afternoon discussing names, and decided on Rowdy.  It seems to fit him, as he is a 9 week old puppy:)
  Life with Rowdy is going about how I expected.  Maddie absolutely loves him and spends a lot of time playing with him.  Rowdy has lots of sharp baby teeth and likes to nip at your fingers, or whatever he can put in his mouth.  Harper and Turner don't like that very much, and are pretty cautious with him.  I think once we get past that stage though, they will both love him.  He does great about pottying outside and is sleeping in his kennel all night.  I heard him cry a few times last nigtht, but it wasn't enough to make me get out of bed and his kennel was dry this morning.
  So my birthday was pretty great.  I spent it with those I loved, we gave the kids a huge surprise, and I am so very thankful to see 36 and know that I am starting it off cancer free!!  It was a good day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment