Saturday, January 29, 2011

Asthma and a 4 year old Disappointments!

Well, the weekend hasn't gone exactly as planned-imagine that!! I picked Maddie up yesterday and she had a small cough. It was pretty dry sounding and inconsistent. We went to dinner with the family and she seemed ok. I gave her a breathing treatment before bed and she slept through the night. This morning she was coughing a lot. It was still dry and I had a feeling her asthma talking and not a cold. I got out my handy dandy pulse oximeter and started checking her finger every five minutes. It would read 95, 78, 86.....not good! About thirty minutes before we were to leave for the birthday party I called the nurse at her pediatrician's office. They asked me if I could be there in forty five minutes....they called back two minutes later and told me to come straight in and they would see her as soon as we got there.

Kevin thinks I overreact about a lot of things. In fact, he was quite annoyed that I was taking her and thought that she was fine. Boo Boo had also stopped by the house and that Maddie was fine and was just getting a cold. Maddie was QUITE upset about not going to the birthday party and terrified of going to the doctor. We had to stop at my work on the way so she could poop and then she went again as soon as I got there. If my child ever needs cleaning out, we just have to suggest going to the doctor. It upsets her stomach every time! Kevin went ahead and took Turner to the party and we were going to try and meet them there. We didn't make it and I hate that for Maddie but I imagine we will go to 20 more before the year is over.

Turns out this momma was right and we did exactly what we needed to do. Maddie was wheezing and the doctor said she could tell she was without even listening to her. She was tight both in the front and the back and had to have a breathing treatment in the office-I had just given her one two hours before. We are having to do breathing treatments every four hours around the clock for forty-eight hours and steroids twice a day for the next five. A way to tell if someone is wheezing is by looking at their windpipe. If you are breathing normally it doesn't really move. When you are struggling you can see it going in and out. Maddie's was doing that A LOT! We didn't see our regular doctor today, but I really liked her and made me feel much better. I am always told that if she gets any worse to take her to the ER. I told the doctor I wasn't sure I would really know if we needed to do that or not. She told me exactly what would happen if Maddie was in danger, and I feel much better about what to do in the future. Asthma is just so foreign to me and I want to make sure that we are always doing everything that need to for her. After we left the doctor we stopped for a much needed treat-ice cream! Because of her peanut allergy, this was the first time we have ever been. We went to TCBY and she had rainbow sherbert in a huge waffle cone! She loved it and said that Turner was going to be very jealous:)

Maddie has had two rounds of steroid and I can already tell a difference. Mimi and Boo Boo took Turner home for the night, so we have been able to love on our girl and will be able to get up through the night without worrying about him as well. The plan is for her and daddy to stay home from church tomorrow. I was going to keep her home from Ellie's party as well, but I think we will play it by ear. I hate for her to miss it, so we shall see.

Not exactly how I thought today was going to go....praising the Lord for a mother's intuition and and my two babies!! And a husband who doesn't mind apologizing when he is wrong:)

No comments:

Post a Comment