Sunday, February 7, 2016

Radiation- 10/25 complete

I began radiation 2 weeks ago.  10 days down, 15 to go.  So far, just having to go back and forth every day is the worst part.  I will be so thankful if that is how it stays.  I have black markings all on my right side and they are radiating 4 different places.  It takes about 20 minutes to get there, 5 to get undressed and situated on the table, and then radiation might last 3 minutes:)  Quite a bit different from the chemo.
  Funny story from my first day.  They showed me to a dressing room and told me to put on what gown.  I pulled one out and spent about 5 minutes trying to figure out how to wear it.  I finally stepped outside and asked for help....it was a laundry bag.  I will share pictures so you might understand why I was confused.  The therapist just laughed and said it was 1st day nerves. 
  The plan after radiation is to take Tamoxifen for the next 5-10 years and then I will be done.  I don't want to take the medicine as I have read lots of negative things about side effects that comes with it.  It is hard figuring out the right thing to do.  I definitely don't want the cancer to come back.  But I don't really want to be toothless, overweight, and have terrible joint pain every day either....decisions.
  As we are nearing the end of treatment, I am dealing with more and more anxiety.  The last few weeks have been hard for me.  I don't want to be sick, but I have to figure out what my new normal looks like.  I stand amazed at everything the Lord has done this past year in my life.  He has met our every need and I know he will continue to do so (as our medical bills are steadily piling up).  I get overwhelmed and then remember Joshua 1:9 and look back at everything we have been through.  We are beyond blessed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment