Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Bell has Been Rung!

Monday was a big day!  It was my last chemotherapy treatment.  16 rounds over the last 5 months.  I can't believe it is over.  In the beginning, I thought the day would never come.  I began the day by opening my last gift from Kelly and Mrs. Martha.  Oh my goodness...it is a pillow and I absolutely love it.  She has blown my mind these pat 6 months.  She is a friend I cant imagine doing life without and and am so glad we went to Europe together 19 (yikes) years ago!  Kev had taken the day off and we were going to check the kids out of school when it was time for me to ring the bell.  Maddie woke up at 3:30 that morning needing a breathing treatment and crying because she couldn't breathe.  Sooo, plans had to be adjusted and Kev had to get Maddie to the doctor.  My parents took me to chemo and Megs got Harper.  Thankfully Maddie was ok, and everyone was still able to watch me ring the bell.
  I had several sweet friends come and sit with me, my parents brought balloons and cupcakes, and Mrs. Cowell made a beautiful sign for me to hold.  It was a special day.  We have had a wonderful support system throughout this and that has made this much easier to bare.  The volunteers and the nurses are always so sweet.  One, Delia, used to go to Ellendale, and has been a tremendous encouragement to us throughout this process.  God has put some amazing people in my path to walk along side me.
  Once chemo was over, I was able to go outside and ring the bell!  It felt good.  Before it happened, I thought I would cry.  I got emotional thinking about it the week before.  I was just relieved to be done and to be doing well.....I felt complete joy.  It is one obstacle we have overcome and the to do list will just get shorter from here.  Praying to say goodbye to cancer forever in a few short months.
  After that, most of us went to Newks for lunch.  My sweet daddy bought everyone's lunch and we had a good time with good food and fellowship.  We couldn't have gotten through these last 5 months without my parents.  They always either had Harper or were taking me to chemo on Mondays.  They would then pick up the big kids and keep them most of the day.  I just happened to get sick during football season.  They never complained, or hesitated to help. 
  Chemo made me physically sick.  Chemo killed most if not all the cancer.  Chemo made me tired.  Chemo made me so very thankful for my husband, parents, sister, and friends.  Chemo brought me to my knees a few times, which strengthened my relationship with the Lord.  I sure don't want to have chemo again, but it sure did bring some sweet blessings.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment