Sunday, September 23, 2012

Disney on Ice minus T:(



Friday night Kelly and I took the kids to Disney on Ice-well most of the kids.  We have been planning this for over the month and both kids were so excited to go.  They couldn't wait to get a snocone and cotton candy.  Kevin had football and Tim was out of town, so we were on our own.  Well, Friday afternoon was a rough one.  I have been having some trouble with Turner and figuring out the best way to discipline him.  The smallest things can set him off, he can throw the best tantrums, and I just don't know how to get through to him.  Not to make excuses, but I know some of it was due to being tired.  We have been SO busy, are rarely at home at night, and are adjusting to having Aubry at the house, along with both kids being in school.
  Needless to say, Turner was throwing one fit after another and not minding at all.  Kelly and the kids came over with pizza beforehand and we had an hour before we needed to leave.  I think I took Turner to his room 3 times with the spanking spoon in that 1 hour.  I called Mimi crying and they came and picked him up.  It broke my heart, but I knew that I couldn't take him and ruin everyone's night.  I just pictured me carrying him around the Forum kicking and screaming all the way.  I also think he has to learn that there are consequences to his actions.  He was given a ton of chances, and he was very sad to not be able to go.
  I am doing a bible study right now one the book "Don't make me count to three" by Ginger Plowman and it is a great book about getting to the "heart" of the childs behavior and focusing on that instead of just wanting the outside package to look all pretty and neat.  I am trying to handle things differently and this book uses totally different approaches than ones I have used in the past.  It is good stuff!!  I definitely recommend the book!
  Even though the night didn't start off as I would have liked, the rest of the kids enjoyed the show and I am glad we were able to go.
  I think I titled this post wrong--three paragraphs on disciplining Turner and one sentence about  Disney on Ice:)

No comments:

Post a Comment