Thursday, July 12, 2012

She's Growing Up!!


I can't believe in a few short weeks our baby will be going to Kindergarten!!  It is amazing how quickly these years have gone.  I am really not sad about her starting school, but do hate how old it makes her.  She is quite an independent girl and I know she is going to be just fine.  She is getting to the age where she is ready to make some decisions herself, and I think this is going to be very hard for me!  Who would have thought-me a control freak:)
  Perfect example is the above picture of her new bookbag and lunchbox!!!  I almost fell out of my chair when she picked that one out.  We were looking online and there were over 150 that fell in the girl, 5-7 year category.  Did we really have to go with a Super Mario one???  I wanted so badly to tell her no and just pick one out myself.  But.....that might have crushed her spirit, it might have made her doubt herself, it definitely would have hurt her feelings!  So-Maddie will be sporting the bookbag this year that she chose, and though I would have never in a million years picked it out myself.....that is OK!!!  I want Maddie to be herself and be comfortable and confident in the things that she likes and enjoys! (as long as they are in line with our values, of course!!!)
  Another thing that totally drives me crazy--she now has very definite opinions about her clothes and they don't line up with my own!!  She is all about play clothes, play clothes, play clothes.  Sweat shorts and tshirts make that girl happy.  Why then does she have a closet full of smocked dresses, ruffled pants, and monogrammed shirts????  Because I LOVE them and up until 6 months she would wear whatever I handed her that morning!  I think in the long run this is going to save us money:)  But it is hard giving up that control and letting her choose what to wear each day.  I will say this-I have told her in the future she will have to go shopping with me, but since I have already bought these clothes, she does have to wear them!!!  But this is another time when even though she might not love the same types of clothes that I do, I still want her to be able to choose and make decisions for herself. 
  I am praying that Maddie will be confident and sure of herself.  I wouldn't ever want to do anything to hinder that.  Last example is top picture-that is a worm on her arm!  That simply grosses me out and I just wanted to scream at her to get that thing away.   Maddie LOVES worms-dead or alive.  She loves the outside and everything she can find there.  Another big difference between she and I!!  Unless I am working on a tan, I could really just stay inside and be happy:)  But, since a worm isn't going to hurt Maddie....it's ok if she loves them and wants them crawling up and down her arm, right?
  I know she is still young and we have a ton of decisions that will be made for her in the upcoming years.  I am trying though to let her start making decisions and encourage her throughout the process.  Her Super Mario bookbag made her happy today when it came in the mail.  My children are unique and aren't going to be just like me-but I love them more than the sky and wouldn't have it any other way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment